y Salud was developed to improve awareness of habits leading to better nutrition and increased physical activity for Latino families with children 12 and younger. Families
participate actively in a series of eight sessions that reinforce the importance of achieving “energy balance” through healthier food choices and increased levels of physical activity.
- Salsa, Sabor y Salud understands that big changes begin with small steps.
- Salsa, Sabor y Salud values Latino traditions and values. The program’s unique approach builds on Latino family values, experiences, traditions, language and cultural strengths. The cultural traditions make it easy.
- It enhances family time, creating opportunities for families to play, cook and eat together.
- Salsa, Sabor y Salud is a completely bilingual program.
- This program responds to the urgent need for education initiatives that effectively connect with and engage Latino families in daily choices that lead to a lifetime of “energy balance” and wellness.
- The program was developed for community based organizations, schools, clinics, wellness programs, and other agencies and organizations working with Latino families. It is flexible, allowing a variety of programs to create their own implementation strategies.
- Salsa, Sabor y Salud conveys important research based information by recognizing and valuing the contributions of Latinos to the global table.
- The two-day hands-on training provides participants with the tools and strategies they need to implement the Salsa, Sabor y Salud at their program.
- Salsa, Sabor y Salud received the 2007 American Dietetic Association/American Dietetic Association Foundation Presidents’ Circle Award for Best Nutrition Education.
Kraft Foods and its Foundation has committed $7.5 million since 2002 to support the development and implementation of the Salsa, Sabor y Salud curriculum with local community partners
recent collaboration with YMCA of the USA (Y-USA), the program will be offered at
Ys in 130
communities nationwide over the next three years.
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation are proud to support initiatives that are helping people live better around the globe. In May 2010, Walmart and its Foundation made a historic pledge
of $2 billion through 2015 to fight hunger in the U.S. The Walmart Foundation also
supports education, workforce development, environmental sustainability, and
health and wellness initiatives. To learn more, visit